Thursday, September 4, 2008

Baby Chicks!!!



You would think a person who is terrified of birds would not want pet chickens but because of the thought of fresh eggs and all the wonderful chicken poo for the compost, I've decided to put my fears aside. I picked the babies up at the post office (yes they come in the mail) and brought them home yesterday. I was absolutely terrified, I was convinced they would jump out of the box and peck my eyes out. Luckily, I was wrong. They are actually very sweet and when they peck it doesn't hurt. I've had to handle them quite a bit as one of them keeps getting pasted up (poop stuck all over his little bum) which is very dangerous and has to be cleaned regularly. I chose four breeds that are said to be friendly and good egg layers: Easter Egger, Black Star, Australorp and a Silver Laced Wyandotte. They will live in the house for the next 3-4 weeks and will eventually move outside to their eglu. Hopefully this will help with my bird fear and I will stop running for the house every time there's a woodpecker visiting my garden.

1 comment:

Robin Wedewer said...

Well, I'll be looking in on your chicken adventures too!

We already had two eggs yesterday from the three chickens the Omlet people sent (and weren't supposed to). I still haven't figured out how to deal with the two extra chicks.

Robin at Bumblebee
http://bumblebeeblog.com